You need up-to-date registration in your state to legally operate your vehicle, so each year you'll need to renew it prior to its expiration date. If your expiration date is right around the corner, you've come to the right place. We'll walk you through the process of getting your car registration renewed as quickly and painlessly as possible. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
Renew your vehicle registration in Iowa
How to renew your vehicle registration in Iowa
You will get a notification in the mail letting you know when your vehicle registration expires in Iowa. You have the option to renew before the expiration date in person.
Renewing by mail:
Send the registration renewal form and your payment to:
Iowa Department of Transportation
Office of Vehicle Services
6310 SE Convenience Blvd.
Ankeny, IA- 50021
- Go to the Iowa Department of Transportation Online Services website.
- Have your credit card or debit card handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
Renewing in person:
- Go to your local DOT office.
- Bring the registration renewal form and the certificate of title along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal. Click here for the form.
- If there is a lien against the vehicle make sure to note it in the application.
- You are required to register within 30 days of establishing residency.
The fee can range from $16 to $200.