Iowa New Registration |

New Registration

If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."

The Car Registration Easy Guide™ is an independent value-add to official DMV services, which may be available for free or at an additional charge.
To download a guide specific to your needs, simply select a service and state above or find an official DMV site or local office.

New Vehicle Registration in Iowa

How to get a new vehicle registration in Iowa

It is a requirement in Iowa if you purchase a new vehicle you must register it before you can drive it. Whether your car is used or new or purchased from and individual or dealership it still has to be registered. If your vehicle was registered in another state that is not valid it must be registered in Iowa. When you register the for the first time it can be done in person after that your yearly renewals can be done in person, online or by mail.

If you bought a new vehicle or need to update your registration it should be done within 30 days. This is applies to new residents of Iowa even if the current registration is still valid.

Registering for the first time:

  • If you purchased a new vehicle ask the owner to hand over all details such as odometer reading, title. If you are not altering ownership bring the out of state title and registration details.
  • Complete a vehicle title/registration form. If there is a lien against the vehicle it should be mentioned on the application. If you are leasing the vehicle you will need to fill out an Application for Certificate of Title/Registration of a Leased Vehicle Form .
  • Visit your County Treasurer's Office and bring the completed title/registration form with you. You will need to provide proof of insurance and the odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
  • If you registered your vehicle in another state you must also bring the original out-of-state title. If you can't get the title bring the registration document with proof of sales tax payment.
  • If you can't register your vehicle because you don't have the proper title documents you can file a bond as a condition to get title and registration plates.


  • The fee will vary depending on the model year or the vehicle's total weight.
  • Title application fee which is $20.